Chika is the Founder and Lead Consultant of Filament Consulting. She is qualified to practise law in Nigeria and the UK.
Chika began her career in the legal department of Unilever UK, where she was Assistant Legal Counsel where she worked on advertising and IP matters, as well as regulatory issues pertaining to food, home and personal care products.
Chika then trained and qualified as an IP associate at Edwards Wildman Palmer UK, where she worked mainly on trademarks, copyright and advertising matters. Subsequently, she completed the Nigerian bar exam and, immediately prior to founding Filament, worked at Detail Commercial Solicitors, where she led the technology, IP, and media & entertainment department.
Chika has a passion for technology law and aims through Start-IT!, Filament’s pro bono service for startups, to contribute to the development of Nigeria’s technology ecosystem.
Chika’s experience includes:
- Drafting an agreement between a mortgage finance institution and the National Bureau of Statistics for the collection of data on the Nigerian mortgage market
- Advising and managing copyright infringement claims relating to the use of music and images in consumer advertising and publications
- Advising on an agreement for the purchase by a transport authority of rolling stock from a Chinese company
- Assisting a UK food company with migration from a licensed brand to a proprietary brand including conducting trade mark searches and filing trade mark applications on behalf of the company
- Advising a UK FMCG company on the importation of grey goods into the UK market and how the company may prevent their sale
- Advising a pay day loans provider on the legality of their comparative advertising campaign against their competitors
- Advising a Japanese Electronics Supplier on their advertising concepts and campaigns, and assisting with the successful defence against a complaint from the Icelandic Advertising Regulator regarding one of their advertising campaigns
- Advising on the precedent franchise agreement and operating manual of a producer of fine china products
- Reviewing and advising a product placement agreement for an American Film Studio
- Providing a major online retailer with advice on price marking requirements and selling travel package deals